Saturday, August 10, 2013

Final Adventure in the Upper Peninsula

It's difficult for me to say goodbye to this exciting adventure. This internship in the UP taught me about nutrition, food service and marketing and myself too. Not only did I learn to strategically solve food service problems, namely the Allergen Program, but I also renewed my love for the outdoors and meeting new people. The last week at NMU was packed with field trips, project touch ups and fun times with friends. I appreciate every opportunity I had this summer and look forward to my next trip back to the UP.


Bariatric Surgery
A few weeks ago, Robin and I sat through a bariatric surgery orientation for those interested in the procedure. Thanks to Robin's great communication skills, she was able to help me gain permission to observe an actual rue-en-y  gastric bypass surgery.

Tuesday I scrubbed up for the surgery and got ready to see my anatomy books applied!  I was fortunate to talk to Dr. Soto and Dr. English prior to the surgery and it was interesting to learn about the surgery through their perspective. During the actual surgery, altering the person's anatomy and consequently physiology was the sole focus for two hours. Prior to the surgery, the doctors communicate with the patient and make it clear what they will perform, but when the procedure is actually done the patient isn't awake and the abdomen is the only visible part of the body.

 I didn't really understand the work of a surgeon until actually observing one on the job. It was amazing to see Dr. English perform the rue-en-y procedure laparoscopically. What precision! Dr. English started with six small slits, 3 above and 3 below the navel. He inserted connectors that allowed him to insert tools into the abdomen easily. After clearing scar tissue and moving fat so his view of the stomach and small intestine was clear, he created a small pouch from the stomach and used a staple gun that created a secure "new stomach" the size of a thumb. Then, he strategically cut the small intestine and reconnected it to the new stomach. By eliminating the means for food to travel throughout the entire small intestine, less is absorbed and therefore less calories, etc. Dr. English was careful in closing off the stomach and small intestine no longer being utilized. Learning through a textbook doesn't compare to observing the body first hand. I have a new respect for the medical field in general.

What really stuck with me after the surgery was what the patient will endure afterwards. Inevitably, the female patient will have to make a lot of changes in her life. Her abdominal wall will be sore for quite some time and she will be consuming 1oz of food at a time for the rest of her life. Seeing the surgery and learning about the implications afterwards really enforces the importance of preventative medicine, including nutrition and fitness. Some see the surgery as the magic fix, but in reality, it's a permanent alteration that allows the patient to attempt to regaining their health back.


Scrubbed up and ready to observe!

Still smiling after seeing a surgery!


Kayaking Lake Superior
After work Tuesday [observing the bariatric surgery and visiting the Huron Mountain Club], Robin and I ventured out to Lake Superior near her house to explore the neat sandstone formations along the shore.  Although I don't have pictures from this adventure (a potential tipped kayak would ruin my camera), some of my best memories are from that evening. I am happy Robin and I got to exchange life stories and perspectives related to nutrition, wellness and happiness.

Final Project: the Showcase
I am pleased to say that we finished the final goal on my list- the showcase. I had to choose a topic, organize the information and decorations, and make the display appealing and easy to comprehend. I took information from one of the nutrition presentations I organized, "Health Dorm Room Snacks"and incorporated snacks from Cattrax, the convenience mart on campus to demonstrate that one can make simple swaps and still consume convenient, tasty foods. We made a make-shift dorm room to catch student's attention. While there needs to be some tweaking, the display turned out decent!

Pondering the Showcase...in the Showcase

Project Reflections
As far as my projects are concerned, I couldn't have completed them without the NMU Dining staff's help. My hope was that the information I laid out would make life easier when the time came to present the nutrition topics and diabetes information, present concise and appealing information about healthy dorm room snacks in the showcase, and create a smooth system for finding information about allergens. My intent for the Allergen manual, signage and employee training quiz was to establish consistency, build confidence and to instill the expectation that NMU Dining staff will deliver great food to all guests.  The disappointing part is that I won't be there at the start of school to see everything in action and to help when things need adjustments. I am excited to hear from my summer coworkers and look forward to my visit back to Marquette, MI. 

Last Great Moments
I am sad that I have to leave the Upper Peninsula  now that my internship has ended. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything and am grateful that I had the opportunity to work with great people, try new things and explore another part of the United States.

I spent my last few days with my favorite boss and friends. They've definitely taught me to enjoy life and embrace every moment!My Mom and Stepdad visited on my final weekend in the UP too. I was excited to share little glimpses of my internship. Below are pictures from my final days in Marquette, MI.

UP Friends 
The greatest boss, Robin and I


My Mom and I enjoying the outdoors









Appreciating the adventure,

Cassandra Schnelle
Dietetics/Nutrition, Fitness and Health
Purdue University '14

No comments:

Post a Comment