Monday, August 19, 2013

Summer at Dartmouth: Week Seven

Week seven! Summer is almost over. :( It does not seem like week seven has ended and we are beginning week eight already!

     This past week was a busy one. Monday and Tuesday were consumed by the Slider/Fun Food event taking place on Tuesday. We met to finish planning any last minute details for the Slider/Fun Food station featuring new products from PFG. I was tasked with determining allergens for the new products. This task was an unexpected whirlwind of chasing down boxes and ingredient lists. I definitely got my workout in for the day! After the day ended, Don and I went out to eat with the Corporate Executive Chef from PFG and the PFG sales representative at The Canoe Club. It was fantastic! We ordered appetizers for the table including a cheese plate, creamy mushroom gnocchi, and crispy shrimp and calamari. The crispy shrimp and calamari were my favorite although the creamy mushroom gnocchi was a close second. I ordered the Tenderloin Salad as my entree. It was perfectly cooked and delicious!
Sliders!
     Tuesday was here before I knew it. I finished determining allergens with the help of Jeff Quigley, a manager in 1953 Commons, and the guys from PFG. My next task was surveying students to determine which items they liked and didn't like. The new sliders for that day were:  beef, lamb, and veggie sliders as well as mini shrimp po' boys. The new fun foods served were: buffalo mac & cheese bites which were mac & cheese bites garnished with hot sauce, blue cheese, and celery; eggplant fries; sweet corn nuggets with maple syrup; and sweet potato puffs with caramel drizzle.  As I watched students pile a mountain of beef sliders and lamb sliders on their plates, I could tell those items were a hit! I was not able to get a large sample size because of the decreased number of summer students at Dartmouth and difficulty getting students to take the survey. The results we did get were mixed. The eggplant fries were a clear favorite, and received the highest ratings of the items surveyed. In the future, adding a slider to the regular menu rotation would be a fun novelty to add variety. The eggplant fries are another item to consider adding to the rotation full time.
    The grill guys slinging sliders


Buffalo mac & cheese bites!
     In the midst of the Slider/Fun Food Station craziness, I was asked to plan a monotony breaker for the dinner menu on Wednesday, August 21. Together with input from Don, we were able to plan a Menu Upgrade Night featuring Roasted Sirloin Strip, Breaded Shrimp, Banana Splits, Strawberry Shortcakes, and Fruit Tarts. This meal marks the last meal before the athletes arrive on campus to begin training for fall sports. It is truly the last meal of summer!
     This week I will be wrapping up my experience at Dartmouth. I'm looking forward to spending one more shift at Collis Cafe helping Mary Anne make baked goods! I'm also looking forward to working with the dietitian, Beth Rosenberger, to put together menu items to create one healthy meal of the day for each day of the menu cycle. I have an exciting but bittersweet week ahead at DDS!

No comments:

Post a Comment