Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Week 8: Around the World in Tasty Ways

Around the World in Tasty Ways Picnic
The picnic is finally complete, but not without hard work from many team members this week! We spend the afternoons Wednesday through Friday preparing the food and remaining decorations for the employee picnic. I had a blast working in the kitchen each day- we split up into pairs to tackle the list and had an unspoken competition to finish the recipes first.  We didn't announce it, but I personally called an  tie in the end! Teamwork! The food list was simple yet represented the "world." From the theme to the food, I wanted the picnic to represent my adventurous side, since it's one of the major reasons why I chose to pursue this internship. I love experiencing new things and learning along the way and am so glad I got to host a picnic for the people I worked closely with.

The actual day of the picnic was hectic to say the least! Due to dreary weather, we had to move the location of the picnic last minute to the secluded senior pavilion on Presque Isle. Although the area wasn't as open as the original location at Tourist Park, it provided great coverage from the rain. It didn't help much with the chilly 50 degree weather though!

Once we were able to pack the trucks and head out to set up, things seemed to roll smooth. We did have minor hiccups- other events were canceled and as a result, the loading dock was congested, the karaoke cord was misplaced on the truck and not found until the end of the picnic and we forgot a necessary item, napkins- but overall the staff members appreciated the picnic. Despite the weather and location change, we had a good turn out. By the end, all of the bison burgers were eaten and everyone left satisfied and happen.
My great teammates prepping corn!

It's the little details- doily rolled silverware

The themed burger bar
Fun times singing (without music)
Time to eat!



Hiking up SugarLoaf Mountain
Lexie and I had a small adventure biking to Sugarloaf Mountain. We didn't realize how far it was, but it was a nice 10 mile bike ride and half hour hike! The sky was cloudy, but we're certain we saw the northern lights!
Lexie and I mid-hike!



The weekend ended with fun adventures camping in the woods. I've learned a lot throughout the internship, about nutrition and food service as well as about people, outdoors and myself. I'm sad that only one week remains, but I look forward to what it will bring!

Loving Adventure,

Cassandra 


No comments:

Post a Comment