Saturday, June 22, 2013

My first week at SUNY Geneseo with CAS

Well I will start by introducing myself, my name is Anna Goode. I am currently a senior attending Fairleigh Dickinson University majoring in Hospitality Management. My internship is at Sate University of New York in Geneseo, NY. I will be working with a nonprofit, self contained company called CAS (campus auxiliary services). During my stay I will be a manager in training and helping out wherever I am needed because that is truly the life of  manager.
My first day on the job, I was pretty nervous, but the nerves were quickly put to rest due to the warm welcoming that I was giving from the team members. On this day I attended a few meetings, sat in on an interview, handled a lot of paperwork, and toured the facilities that CAS had on campus. They have 4 on campus site, one that is under construction for the next two years (Letchworth), one named Red Jacket which does not operate in the summer, Mary Jemison which houses most of the summer catering meals such as student orientation, and then Fusion which is a retail restaurant/cafe that is open during the summer.
On this day I was also able to help out with transfer orientation where I greeted the students, and made sure that they knew where the cafe was located. Toward the end of that work day I was showed a computer system called ADP, which CAS uses for scheduling and staffing system.
On Tuesday I started the morning by attending a deadline meeting, where all the managers have a meeting to talk about upcoming dates and deadlines and what their teams are doing to make sure that they meet the deadlines and everything runs smoothly. After that I sat in on another interview where I was included as a manager to ask any questions to the candidate. This gave me another perspective to interviewing because I have never been on the other end to ask questions to the interviewee. After a brief break I rolled with Lisa who is the area operator and my overall boss, we went to her office to work on a manager schedule for the upcoming weeks. After the hour long schedule making we attended a financial meeting where the managers of the all the establishments that CAS runs on campus express their views and concerns about the CAS budget and where they stand on the financial spectrum of things. Lastly after lunch we had a meeting with the other managers to go over the schedule for the next two weeks and make sure any adjustments that needed to be made were at that point in time.
On Wednesday I arrived a little earlier than the norm. On this morning I helped prep for that days second transfer student orientation. I was given the chance to grill chicken for about 200 people.
On after orientation I hung up some new posters for health information in the Mary Jemison Cafe.


These are posters that give information on how much air pollution Americans create by eating red meats, and the most air toxic meats, and what Americans can due to reduce the admittance of these toxins.
Thursday was another prep day. I came in around 8:30 am and we did prep for the lunch and dinner for about 250 people. We prepared about 6 different wrap and sandwiches ranging from hummus, veggie, to Italian chicken, and turkey sandwiches. After that was prepared and take to the location for the service of the food, I help the catering supervisor set up the banquet tables for the dinner service of that same group. We folded silverware into napkins for 250 people again.
A picture of a turkish pastry filled with spinach and feta for the Hors d'oeuvres.

Simply enough this took me a little while to get my speed up but by Friday I claimed to be a silverware wrapping professional! 
Friday was a pretty busy day as well as Thursday. I cam in at 7 am, where I jumped right in helping out with the breakfast service for the Roswell group that we serviced the day before. After feeding them breakfast we went back to the kitchen and wrapped 300 sandwiches and wraps for the pick up lunch and cookies for his group. This will be the last meal we prepare for this group. After we were done with service for the day we set up another double hot buffet for monday when we have the freshman overnight orientation.



Consistency is the key. I am enjoying this journey already. Being a manager means jumping in where you are needed, but having the skills to lead and succeed!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment