Thursday, June 6, 2013

The University of Kansas Week 1 Experience: Kevin and Jackson Style





I have been given the opportunity to introduce the better half of the 2 interns at the University of Kansas! In order to have been granted this opportunity, it involved blood, sweat, and tears negotiating with a badger (my best friend/intern Jackson is from the University of Wisconsin and their mascot is a badger in case no one knew). I say best he's my best friend because we both love guacamole (see link for Step Brothers reference). Now, lets get back to introducing the better half, my name is Kevin Silveyra and I am originally from Windsor, Ontario, Canada, but I attend St. Francis Xavier University in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada and have recently completed my third year of Human Nutrition. I have recently found my passion for food service management through my experiences as supervisor of food and nutrition at my local hospital (Windsor Regional Hospital) and I have a desire to find out  what university food service in the USA entails. I think I can speak for both Jackson and I in saying that we are extremely excited for what the KU food service management internship has in store!
Now that Kevin stole the show I suppose I should tell you a little about the true better half of the intern duo.  We became best friends when we started doing karate in the garage or maybe when we rearranged our rooms for a bunch of activities, but in all seriousness it was when we found out we both liked hockey (see link for Step Brothers reference).  I originally grew up in Oconomowoc, WI and received a degree in Dietetics from the University of Wisconsin at Madison.  I love the outdoors and will play almost any sport.  I would consider myself a foodie, love to be in the kitchen and on occasion use meat I acquired myself (aka I hunt).  In my last years as an undergrad I got the business bug and would like to do something in health care or some type of management while incorporating my nutrition background.  Once I get some working experience I would love to go back and get my MBA.  I am looking forward as to what the full management internship here at KU has to offer!




Before we begin, we wanted to take some time to thank Jim Schilling (Unit Manager of North College Café) and Mary Rondon (MS, RD, LD Student Coordinator of Special Dietary Requests) for giving us the best tour of Lawrence, Kansas any man or woman could ask for. As well, thanks to David Hurwitz (Unit Manager of The Studio) for the most amazing coffee and smoothie served west of the Mississippi (yes we are fully aware that’s a bold statement!) Also, for all of you that think Kansas is flat................. think again my friends.


Alright, now to the first week of the internship....




Week 1

Our first couple of days consisted of settling into to our new home and getting to know the campus.  As said before the campus is NOT flat at all.  Our residence (GSP) is placed high atop a hill overlooking the football stadium and downtown Lawrence.  From our long journey walking the campus (AKA we got lost for 2.5 hours), we began to really admire the amazing architecture that the buildings of KU had to offer.  Here are some of the photos of our adventure.


















Besides our adventure around campus we have met some really wonderful and interesting people over the last few days. On Wednesday we met with David Mucci (Director of KU Unions), Sheryl Kidwell (Assistant Director for Residential Dining), Karen Cross (Access Administrator of KU Cuisine Dining Plans and Cash), Craig Josling (Procurement Officer) and today we met with Janna Trevor (Executive Chef at KU Memorial Unions), Keith Lake (Unit Manager of The Market), Mindy Pendreigh (Systems Administrator), Lisa Englebrecht (Business Manager) and Cheryl Wiley (Registered Dietitian). Tomorrow we will get an official tour of the campus from Alecia Stultz (Asst. Director of KU Residential Dining) followed by a lunch meeting at their full service restaurant in the KU Union, Impromptu.
 Keep following our blog for more information on our KU experience.... Stay Classy 2013 NACUFS Interns







No comments:

Post a Comment