Sunday, June 23, 2013

Penn State Week 5!


This past week rounded out the training and tour portion of our internship. Tomorrow is the first day of my management experience in Pollock dining hall and I am excited to put to use all of the great training I've acquired so far. One of the highlights from this last week was getting to visit an Amish market in Belleville, Pennsylvania. I have never seen an Amish person before so it was very interesting to see how they live and to interact with them.

This is the building where we sat in on a livestock auction. 
 

I learned that only married Amish men have beards because they shave until they get hitched. 


 We couldn't resist sampling a couple wines at the beautiful Brookemere winery on the way to Belleville.









We had some delicious fried chicken at Peachey's for lunch.

 If anyone else is a fan of the YouTube video "Goats Yelling Like Humans" then you'll probably get a kick out of this video that I took at the livestock auction house. 
 

Here is the YouTube video if you haven't seen it. I highly recommend watching it. 

This past week I also got to participate it a culinary challenge against the other interns. Although I was defeated, I had a great time creating my dish and tasting what the other interns came up with. I made a shrimp, avocado and grapefruit salad with a citrus vinaigrette, mozzarella, and toasted pumpkin seeds atop Boston lettuce.





No comments:

Post a Comment