Sunday, June 16, 2013

Week 2 at Ferris State!

I cannot believe I'm already done with my second week here at FSU- this week FLEW by! 
  •  Monday I had a 4 hour shift in the dish room. At first, I was really not looking forward to working here at all. But my shift there ended up going by really fast! There seemed to constantly be something that needed to be done, which made time go by really quick. I have a new appreciation for the work that the dish machine operators do! 
  • Tuesday both Margaret and I worked with the stock room coordinator, Gordie, to help with with inventory. Fun! As much as the both of us were dreading counting different food products in the stock room for hours, time went by much quicker than we anticipated. It made things a lot easier having the two of us work on it together. Gordie says sometimes he has to do the weekly inventory all by himself- I can't even imagine!! 
  • Wednesday we worked with Gordie again in the storeroom to put away various shipments that they got in for the day. We got to work with some of his student helpers, which made our job a lot easier. Later, we went to a meeting concerning the different camps that are taking place at Ferris over the course of the summer. We anticipate a lot more kids coming to eat in the dining hall soon!
  • Thursday was possibly the earliest start to a day I've ever experienced, waking up for a 4 a.m. bakery shift. But it wasn't so bad! Once I had some coffee in my system I was good to go. Plus I got to make a lot of delicious treats like no-bake cookies and chocolate cupcakes :) I even got to prepare a vegetable soup that was served for dinner in the dining hall later!
the bakery kitchen

No-bake cookies- sooo good

Homemade vegetable soup! Made in an enormous kettle


 I got out of my shift at the bakery early and ended up going with Margo, the assistant catering manager, to meet with one of her clients about a menu for his upcoming event. I got to see beautiful Canadian Lakes as well as various other sites along the way in the car ride 

Natural gas plant

Farm land for miles!

A castle in the Canadian Lakes residential area

                                                    




  • Friday I worked alongside Dave, one of the head cooks, during the breakfast shift. We made sausage gravy, biscuits, and helped out other cooks with recipes when needed. Later, I worked the "Island" station where I was assembling flank steak salads- yum!


Cavatini- 3 different kinds of pasta, tomato sauce, sausage, and pepperoni! 
  • For the weekend Margaret and I decided to do some traveling! So grateful that Margaret has her car so we can explore all of the beautiful areas Michigan has to offer. On Saturday, we first headed up to Glen Arbor where we were told to visit the famous Sleepy Bear Dunes. The website said that it was nominated as an eighth world wonder! And I'm not surprised- the pictures say it all. But nothing compares to the experience of actually climbing the dunes and seeing the magnificent view in person. One of the most spectacular sights I've ever seen!
These slopes have a 60 degree incline!


Overlooking Lake Michigan!





  • Next, we hit up a couple of the wineries in Traverse City to do some wine tasting! Neither of us had ever been to a winery before so we were both really excited. $5 for 5-6 tastings, not a bad deal!
Left Foot Charley winery had a cool vibe

Feeling so adult!

  • We ended the day with some burgers and ice cream from local eateries that were absolutely delicious!  Perfect weekend
     





No comments:

Post a Comment