Sunday, June 30, 2013

Week Four at University of Northern Iowa

Monday, June 24th
Day 14

Today I was at Prexy's, UNI's retail dining center located in Maucker Union. In the morning, I spent time with Sara talking about the process of hiring and training student employees. I also assisted in some of the cashiering responsibilities such as counting money and making deposits. Next, I spent time at Essentials, which is a retail store at Maucker Union that sells food, gifts, school supplies, apparel, etc. For the lunch shift, I worked at Flare's, making burgers, chicken, and fries which was fast paced and really fun! In the afternoon, I talked with Sara again about how products are order and how the amount of the product needed is determined.


Tuesday, June 25th 
Day 15

Today I was back at Maucker Union early in the morning. I spent a few hours working at Chat's, which sells coffee, smoothies, and some grab and go items like muffins and donuts. I thought it was really fun learning how to make all the different coffee drinks, and I picked up on how to make most of them pretty quickly. For lunch, I worked at Wasabi. That day, there was a a mongolian grill concept, where people could chose their meat, veggies, and sauce and it was prepared in front of them. The mongolian grill was a little difficult to use, but the students who had done it enough times didn't seem to have a problem with it. I also helped cook the chicken and beef in big woks for the fajita bar that was also open. I tried the fajitas for lunch and they were delicious! The fajita bar is definitely a concept that I would be excited to try back at my school.

Wednesday, June 26th 
Day 16

In the morning, I was back at Rialto for my dish room/sanitation rotation where I learned the basics of the dish room. It wasn't too exciting but it is definitely an essential part of the dining center running smoothly. In the afternoon, I worked a lot on one of my big projects for the summer. I am getting Prexy's nutrition information into the right format so that it can be viewed by students online. If time allows, I may even also work on putting together the nutrition information for the coffee drinks at Chat's, which I am really excited about possibly doing.

Thursday, June 27th 
Day 16 and Friday, June 28th Day 17

On Thursday and Friday I worked a lot on some of my projects for the summer. I made a lot of progress on them which was awesome! On Thursday, a sales rep from King and Prince, a seafood company, visited. He talked a lot about the company's new sushi concept, where they provide the rice and seafood and then the university adds the veggies and sauce they want for the sushi rolls. Sushi is really big at my school, and is definitely increasing in popularity among the college age crowd. It will be interesting to see if UNI does anything with this concept in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment