Tuesday, July 9, 2013

5th week in the UP: Short and Sweet

My fifth week at Northern Michigan University was shortened because of the holiday. My boss was kind enough to give me Monday off for my birthday and Friday off because, well, pretty much everyone else was taking the day off. Despite having a short week, we did make significant progress with the allergen program.


"Progress Report"
I reported my current standings with my projects along with my stirring ideas for the rest of the internship. For the most part, my boss's boss was on the same page and had some great suggestions to improve the direction I was taking. The nutrition presentations are finalized and the data entries for the recipes are about done too! I think the trouble shooting that needs to be done deals with how the allergen information is presented in the dining courts. The biggest struggle with finding a solution is knowing that not everyone will be willing to "switch pages"- at least not initially. Again, the hope is that the training manual for food allergens will provide a new perspective to those that find it difficult to relate to and carry out.

Picnic Food List- in progress too!


Fourth of July, UP Style
I had a nice 4th of July in the UP. [At this point, I realized how much I miss my family though!] I spent the day with my coworkers and friends- we did everything from see a parade to have a cookout to watch the fireworks! The parade definitely set the mood for the rest of the day; everyone was so festive and patriotic! Although there was a "rain scare," we ended up having great weather. The fireworks were great too- they lit them off the old oredock and we watched them from the break wall.


My Aunt and Uncle did come visit me the following day. My Uncle flew his small plane just to make my day! I am lucky to have such a loving family and was glad to see them after missing my family the past few days.
Brought a little Purdue to the UP for the 4th!
Red, White and Blue! 

Marquette Parade!


View from the break wall, pre-fireworks
Fireworks over Lake Superior!




Farmer's Market!
Saturday I made another trip to the Farmer's Market and browsed the fresh produce selection. I can't wait for the Blueberry Festival to happen in a few weeks and in honor of my favorite food, I  purchased some Michigan blueberries. Yum! I think I like the Farmer's Market because it brings the community together. It presents an opportunity to build relationships, learn and taste new, fresh foods!

No comments:

Post a Comment