Monday, July 29, 2013

Final Week at UNI

 Monday, July 22
Today I went on a tour to the University of Iowa. I spent time talking with Jill, IU's foodservice director, and she took us on a tour of some of the food service facilities. We also had lunch there, and they had some really great options like salmon and cheese enchiladas-the food was delicious!




Tuesday, July 23
Today I went to Farner-Bocken, which services many gas stores, convenience stores, and college and university c-stores with food and beverages. It was impressive to see their expansive warehouse and the process of filling orders and shipping them out to customers. A fun part of the day was when I got to take home a bag full of Farner-Bocken new products samples-I definitely did not waste any time trying the samples when I get home!




Wednesday, July 24
Today was a work day at my desk, where I worked a little bit on my nutritional information project and getting things ready for my special event lunch (which was on Thursday and I was getting nervous today!)

Thursday, July 25
Today was my special event lunch! I spent the morning preparing and decorating, and service was from 11:30-1:00. Most of the guests were high school football players there for camp-and there were a lot of them! Everything went really smoothly, mostly because I had a lot of great staff helping me out, and luckily I had someone working the lemonade machine so that was a major relief! Since it was a wild west theme, the menu including hamburgers and hotdogs,onion straws, BBQ pork sandwiches, baked beans and green beans, a taco bar, assorted pizzas and taco pizza, Texas sheet cake, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and John wayne casserole. 





Friday, July 26
Today I finished up all the projects I was working on! It was crazy to think that this was my last day at my desk doing work for the summer!


Monday, July 29
Today I went on two ours: one to Burke Meats which produces a lot of pizza toppings, and the other to Iowa State. Burke Meats was really interesting and they were huge on safety and sanitation-we had to wear boots, long coats, goggles, hard hats, and ear plugs during the tour. At the end of the tour, we could to sample a bunch of pizzas and some other products, which were all delicious! At Iowa State, we were taken on a tour by Nancy, their director. We had a great lunch and it was cool to see their campus-especially because it is so huge! They have a lot of great dining options there. 

This program has meant so much to me, and I feel privileged to have been part of the NACUFS internship program. In past years, Miami students who have been NACUFS interns have praised the program, and I am glad that I now get to go back to school and tell other nutrition students about my great experience. This program really made me step out of my comfort zone and learn so many new things and meet a lot of new people. I feel that because of this experience, I have not only gained vast knowledge of college food service operations, but I have grown as a person and become more well-rounded in the field of nutrition.

No comments:

Post a Comment