Monday, July 15, 2013

University of Northern Iowa Week 6

Wow! I can't believe that there is only two weeks left of my internship-it's crazy how fast time has gone by! Here are some of the things I have been up to for the past week:

Monday, July 8th 2013
            Besides getting things together for my special event, today I got the opportunity to sit in on an interview for a catering planning position that the university is looking to fill. I got to ask ask some questions and it was really interesting (and nice!) to be on the other side of an interview for once. It really helped me too because I was able to thing about what my answers would have been to some of the questions, and I think that it definitely will be a help in the future. 

 Tuesday, July 9th 2013
            Today my decorations arrived for my special event which is a Wild West theme lunch. Everything came in and was correct so that was a major relief! I also worked on a marketing promotional plan for the retail stores here on campus. One of the things at Miami University that I love are our soft pretzels with different dipping sauces (bad for you, but so good!). I thought it might be fun to introduce that concept to UNI and see what the students thought of it.

Wednesday, July 10th 2013
         I spent time today with Carol Fletcher, who works a lot with conference planning, human resources, and budgeting. She talked with me a little about what she does and I never knew how much goes into the things that she does. Besides that, I worked a little more on various projects such as a floor plan analysis for one of the dining centers.

Thursday, July 11th 2013
         Today I was down in the dish room of Rialto, doing a waste audit of the tray returns. I know that it is really hard to reduce the amount of waste from students, especially at an all you can eat dining center. One thing that UNI does is offer half portions of many of their sandwiches. I think that this is one great step in reducing the amount of food waste, and it also benefits students by offering them smaller portions. 

Friday, July 12th 2013
        Today I typed up my waste audit report, and began to work on one of my big projects, which is adding to the nutrition information of Prexy's, one of the other dining halls. At Prexy's there are a lot of bar concepts-burrito bar, quesedilla bar, potato bar, etc, and I am working on getting the nutrition information together for that, which is a lot of work but I really enjoy doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment