Saturday, July 6, 2013

Wyoming Week 5: Filming, Festivals, and Fire


Happy belated Independence Day, everyone!  This week was great, and I hope you all had a great holiday.  This week, we did recipe testing/development for Washakie with chef Mark.  We started by learning about all the equipment in the kitchen.  I was impressed with the 80-gallon kettles and the combi-ovens that have the capability of smoking food.

These kettles would be great for hide and seek


Washakie has all the basic necessities as well as really cool items like a Mongolian Grill, gyro machines, and a pizza oven.  It was nice to get a quick lesson on how the machinery is used.


Mmm....pizza

Next, Mark taught us knife skills!  We went over various sizes of julienne, brunoise, and dice; and we even tried our hands at a tournée.  Thank goodness I never plan to cook for people who care about my knife cuts, but it was really fun to learn.

  
That potato should be scared

Proudly holding my mediocre tournée

On Tuesday and Wednesday, we tested lots of recipes.  We learned how important it is to weigh all the ingredients and weigh the final yield and portion sizes so that everything can be entered into the computer properly.  (I wished I had been more diligent about weighing once I was entering my own recipes into CBORD on Friday.)  Inaccurate yields lead to poor forecasting, frustrated cooks, and either hungry students or wasted food.

From left to right: citrus-glazed fruit salad, curry-roasted cauliflower, and Dijon-roasted Brussels sprouts

Shakshuka!  People were skeptical at first, but I think they liked it

We recruited the cooks and managers for our taste panels.  It always makes me antsy when people are eating food I made while silently filling out evaluation forms, but it looks like we found at least a few winning recipes.

On Wednesday afternoon, I got the closest I’ll ever get to fame and stardom when Claire, Katlyn (another awesome intern who joined us last week), and I shot a film about healthy eating at Washakie.  I was dreading being in front of the camera, but it was fun once we got going.  Our cameraman was very patient with our random attacks of giggles (I don’t know why the shot where we weren’t even speaking was the hardest to get through; I felt ridiculous).

Yay for Independence Day!  I loved being in Laramie for this holiday.  There was a great festival going on in the park with free watermelon, snow cones, and ice cream; live bands performing throughout the park; and fun activities like pie eating contests for kids (I thoroughly enjoyed watching 8-year-olds gleefully burying their faces in whipped cream), walking on stilts, and a dunking booth.  We ran into lots of friends from work, and we got to see Mark perform in his band.  In the evening, Claire and I saw Monsters University and met up with some other friends to watch the fireworks from campus.  All in all, it was a great day.

Catching bubbles! It disappeared, so she must have been successful

Listening to Basmati play some great jazz

Friday was a low-key day, which was good because I was feeling sluggish after having the day off before.  We entered our recipes into CBORD and wrote nutrition articles for the newsletters.  Time is flying, and there’s still fun to enjoy.  I’m super excited for our bakery rotation next week.




No comments:

Post a Comment