Monday, July 8, 2013

Week 5 and a little breaky break

This was a short week, thanks to my coordinator for allowing me to take both Thursday and Friday off to celebrate the holiday weekend with my family who drove up from Minneapolis. It was so nice to take a break and do fun things around Grand Forks with the fam. Thanks again Dustin! :)

Monday and Tuesday were spent working more on developing menus for dining's Residence Hall Catering online ordering system. The system is brand new for UND and utilizes a communication between FoodPro and an online module to allow students to place streamlined, paperless Res Hall catering orders. The road to streamlined and paperless, however, is taking a few glitches and lots of paper. UND offers its residents TONS of options when it comes to catering residence hall events  -- everything from chips and salsa to chocolate fondue and mocktails. Before we can enter the menus into FoodPro, the department together has to agree on portion sizes, pricing, minimum orders, and menu structure. A lot of the items had to be re-worked in some way, and in order to get the correct portion sizes to display, some items will have to be re-weighed for accuracy.

I also spent some time going over the next run of the Salad Concept which will happen this Wednesday at lunch -- making marketing materials and such -- and finalizing the rest of the Wilkerson Fall 2013 menu (I think it's finally done!) On Tuesday, I did some research and put together some informational brochures about Quinoa and Chickpeas for a nutrition presentation Dustin and Chef Greg will be giving to a group of Deans this week. 

On Wednesday, Laura and I had the office to ourselves since both Chef Greg and Dustin left early for the weekend. I actually got a lot done! I was able to start doing lots of brainstorming and research for the set of Nutrition Information Handouts that will be displayed in Wilkerson for interested students to peruse and take. I made my first draft of one about Eating Disorders and have many more fun ideas for nutrition topics of interest to college students.

As I mentioned, my family was awesome enough to drive all the way up here to spend the holiday weekend in Grand Forks. We had lots of fun in the hot hot heat. Hope everyone else had a lovely 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment