Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Under The City Lights: Coast To Coast

BANQUET WEEK

On Monday we reported to the Summit to prepare for the banquet, whether it was food or decorations. There was a lot to do before Tuesday so it was great that we had student help. We assembled the street signs, cut out table numbers and frames, and started to put together the flower arrangements. The flower arrangement was the toughest part because Meghan and I both did not previously have experience with flowers. Thank goodness those full-time staff members at The Summit for helping us create a beautiful center piece. I learned a lot from the flowers such as what kinds need to be picked, there always needs to be greenery, the arrangement needs to have height, and a pop of white can go a long way. At the end of the day Meghan and I made the It's It dessert! In case you do not know what an It's It, I will explain. You take two oatmeal cookies put vanilla ice cream in the middle and dip it in chocolate!! It was a pretty messy process, but by the end we got it under control and made some beautiful It's It Ice Cream Sandwiches (I will be making these at home). 


Tuesday was the same as Monday for most of the day. We finished the flower arrangements, set tables, finished the rest of the It's It Sandwiches, made pizza for the dinner, and helped where ever we needed. I was really excited to see our larger pictures of the cities put up and the light trellis for over the buffet table. We were very happy with how it all came together and it was great to see the final picture. When you are planning and doing these steps over a time period it is sometimes hard to see it in your head, so when it all comes together it is a great feeling! We had a last minute change to the It's It Sandwiches because we did not think there were enough. The decision was to cut them in half and present the inside layer to the guest and decorate with whipped cream, which worked out really great!


Overall, the night ran pretty well. We ran into a little trouble with the amounts of certain food, but it taught me a lesson on forecasting. The positive out of that is that the guests loved the food, which is always very important!

 

Pictures of the preparation and event:

 
SIGN PREP
 
 
FLOWER VASES
 
 

VASES WITH LILLIES
 
 
THE CENTER PIECES

NOT EVEN ALL OF THEM!!
 
FINISHED TABLE
 
FINISHED ROOM

CLOSE UP ON THE CENTER PIECE
 
LIGHT POST
 
MEGHAN AND THE CHOCOLATE CHIPS
 
THE IT'S IT
OUR END PRODUCT
 
CRAB CAKE PREP
 
THE CRAB CAKES
 
THE DEEP-DISH
 
CITY PICTURES ( NYC, PHL, SEATTLE, CHICAGO, SAN FRAN)

YAYYYY PHILLY!

LINE DIAGRAM

READY FOR SERVICE

MEGHAN AND I WITH OUR CITIES

MEGHAN AND I WITH OUR END RESULT
 
 I really owe a large thanks to the staff at The Summit for helping make our vision in reality. If it was not for their dedication to help us make it work, we could not have pulled it off. They really helped with everything, from food to flowers they always helped!
 
 
Reflection:

I really cannot believe I am saying goodbye to my NACUFS internship! I am excited to get home and spend time with my friends and family, but it has been a great eight weeks. I got to learn about a whole sector of hospitality that many people overlook and I am very thankful for that. Not only have I learned about different aspects in University Food Services and how to manage the facilities, but also about myself and how I can improve. It is always a great thing to step back at the end of an experience and see what you learned or even what you learned how to do.

A BIG THANKS TO KRIS FOR PUTTING TOGETHER A GREAT EXPERIENCE! I LEARNED ABOUT ALL ASPECTS IN THIS INDUSTRY AND ENJOYED THE WHOLE PROCESS.
 
I am sad to leave Athens, but I know I will be back because it is way too cool of a town to not visit and I MUST see the Bulldogs play a football game one day!

AND I WILL END ON THIS NOTE...
 
 


Thanks to everyone at UGA for a great summer!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment