Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Summer at Dartmouth: Week Two

     Hey all! This post is a little late as I was out of town last week and didn't get a chance to post. Week two at Dartmouth was July 1 through July 5. I hope everyone's Fourth of July was full of hotdogs, fireworks and good ol' patriotic fun.
     Unfortunately, summer construction has come to Dartmouth, and the sidewalk in front of the dining hall, 1953 Commons, is all torn up. Here is a picture of the dining hall pre-construction:
 
     My week consisted of more work in the Compnutrition system. Currently, I am entering concession items into the system for each sport at Dartmouth. From football to lacrosse to hockey to relays, I've been working on each menu so it is ready in time for the beginning of school. I never though I'd be asking questions such as, "How much does 2 tablespoons of cocoa weigh?", and "Is this hotdog an all beef product?". These are the dilemmas that have plagued this last week.
    Pierce Brothers made its debut at the cafe in the library this week. Free iced coffee on a beautiful, hot summer day begs the question, "Is this heaven?". No, it's summer at Dartmouth. This Iowa girl couldn't resist a Field of Dreams reference! The more I learn about this company, the more I can't help but sing its praises. They're located in Maine and certified Organic and Fair Trade. On top of that, their coffee is good, really good, especially when iced, and drunk on a hot summer day. Ok, I'm done now, but seriously check em' out!
      Every Wednesday there is a farmers market on the green. I didn't get a chance to explore the market during the first week, so I made sure to take time to enjoy it this week! The variety of fresh, local produce made me wish I had my own kitchen. The strawberries were so red and delicious looking! I settled for devouring a raspberry Brie tartlet one of the stands was selling. Raspberries and Brie cheese just may be a new favorite combination. I also bought a tiny vase of wildflowers. So cute!
 

    I'm looking forward to getting back to work this week. I will be meeting with a dietitian who previously worked at Dartmouth and now has a private practice working with eating disorders. It'll be interesting to explore a different area of dietetics. Here's to another great week at Dartmouth!

No comments:

Post a Comment