Sunday, July 21, 2013

Week 7 at UNI





Tuesday, July 16th 

Today I got the opportunity to work with Rachel Woebter at UNI's community garden. Even though it was very hot outside, it was still a lot of fun and a great experience! After a tour of the garden, Rachel and I harvested some vegetables and herbs from the garden, and then did a little bit of hoing in some parts of the garden. in the afternoon, Rachel talked to me a little about what she does as a local foods purchaser. The best part of the day was definitely when I got to take home a bunch of vegetables from the garden! 



Wednesday, July 17th 

Today I went on a tour to Grinell college-a small, private college that is about an hour and a half away from UNI. Their dining service is on a much smaller scale than UNI's, but it was really interesting to see and compare how they operated. I loved that they had special areas for Gluten Free and Vegan options in their dining hall After a tour in the morning, the cooks had prepared lunch as part of recipe testing, so we got to eat lunch with some of the staff.

                                     

Thursday, July 18th and Friday, July 19th

On Thursday and Friday I worked a lot on my projects. Thursday, I got to go on a catering run and drop off some food at two different places. Later that day, I got out the machine that is used to make fresh squeezed lemonade, which I am having at my special event. I did a couple test trials just to make sure it worked and to get the recipe right.

No comments:

Post a Comment